Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The roots thing...

An American friend of mine who's spending time in India with his family inspired me to start a blog. After 20 years of living in Canada it was time for me to do the roots thing as well.

For the past three months I have been in beautiful Buenos Aires spending time with family, working on an interesting project related to education policy and the national debt problem, and enjoying a nightlife that I still can't believe exists. I have also been carefully observing how the country has been slowly dusting itself off from a devastating depression that peaked in 2001.


Since arriving, I constantly search for clues to solve what remains a mystery to me: how can a country that was once considered to be as developed as most Western European countries about 7 decades ago, have gone through a process of under-development that left half of its population in poverty and the other half in constant fear of the poor?


While I am quite familiar with the various economics-centred answers from both ends of the political spectrum, I find them too simplistic and incomplete. In the upcoming months I hope to develop a broader understanding of Argentina's culture, and share with you some deeper insights that I never found in my text books or in news articles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Juanson said...

d'mae,

you forgot to mention that you are coordinating the cono sur operations of one of the norte's biggest inter-american exchange programs.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Marshall said...

Christian, mae, thanks for the reminder.

I almost forgot that I was recently "appointed" by Princeton in Latin America (PiLA) as their Regional Director.

Hopefully I'll be up on their website soon and more business cards are on their way...

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home